An overview of developments which took place at Ballintotas N.S. between 1898 and 2002:
The present schoolhouse in Ballintotas dates from 1898. Prior to this the children of the locality were educated in the thatched building located near the castle. Conditions in this building were most unsuitable. The final Inspector’s Report of the 31st. March 1892 bears this out as Inspector Craig described it as a “wretched hovel”.
SchoolCanon Hutch P.P. Midleton acquired a small field as a site for a new school from Mr. Edmond Ahern and from Lord Midleton, the head landlord. £283 was provided by the Board of Works for building and furnishing the school and for fencing in the site. The builder was Jeremiah J. Coffey of Midleton and assistance was provided by parishioners.
The schoolhouse consisted of a two classroom building, one room of which was identical to the junior room today. The other room, however, had a stepped floor and was furnished with forms or long benches.
1920 – It was necessary to provide an additional classroom in the 1920’s to accommodate an increased enrolment of over 100 pupils. This classroom was added at the eastern end of the school and the expenditure involved amounted to £745.
1940 – A decline in the numbers in the 1940’s resulted in the school reverting to two classrooms again in 1949.
1957 – The summer of 1957 saw electricity being installed in the school.
1960 – A water connection and flush toilets added to improvements in the 60’s.
1982 – Additional improvements in 1982 included new floorboards, carpets were laid and new tables and chairs replaced the old timber desks.
1993 – A half acre of land adjacent to the school was purchased for playing purposes.
1995 – The “old classroom was brought back into service again. This phase of its history saw it serving as another set of indoor toilets, a storeroom and a kitchen cum Library – a necessary development in this vibrant school’s history. The existing roof of 100 years was also replaced and the chimney dismantled.
1998 – A prefabricated structure was erected to accommodate the extra numbers of pupils who were attending the school and a 3rd teacher was appointed.
1998 – Also saw the school celebrate its centenary with a weekend of festivities.
2002 – With the increasing number of pupils in the school a larger prefabricated structure was erected.